Friday, October 9, 2009

Of Otters and Ogres

There's a new authorized sequel to Winnie-the-Pooh just out, written by David Benedictus. Who?? We have several novels by Benedictus in our library collection, but none of them are for children. A new character is introduced - Lottie the Otter.

Somehow this was totally off my radar until yesterday morning when I read this editorial piece in the LA Times "pooh-poohing" the very idea of a sequel. I have to say I agree. What exactly is the point, except to make more money for the Pooh Properties Trust? As a Long-time Fan of Milne's creations, I say phooey.

I am, however, looking forward The Odious Ogre, a collaboration between Norton Juster and Jules Feiffer - whose last collaboration, The Phantom Tollbooth, was published in 1961.

1 comment:

  1. Lottie the Otter has a pearl necklace. This seems so wrong to me. I just don't see Christopher Robin having a stuffed otter with a pearl necklace. Why did they have to stick the necklace on her? To appeal to girly girls who wouldn't otherwise buy it? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete