Monday, May 11, 2009

Spock-a-licious


On the left - my Spock. On the right - Nadia's Spock.

So we celebrated Mother's Day weekend, as did so many others, by going to Star Trek. I had a major crush on (the original) Spock, the oh-so-slender and cerebral Leonard Nimoy, when I was a barely-teen back in the late 70s, so it was fascinating (as Spock himself would put it) to see my younger daughter shivering with jealousy at the relationship between Uhura and Spock (Zachary Quinto) in the latest movie prequel. Nadia wants him all to herself. Ah, unrequited love. My older daughter thought the young Sulu (John Cho) was delish, while my husband thought Uhura (Zoe Saldana) acquitted herself with aplomb and gorgeousness (ah, those curly lashes and that flouncing ponytail). Myself, I liked the whole darn cast (well okay, but especially the dreamy Chris Pine as Kirk. He's only 15 years younger than me - is that so wrong??).
Meanwhile, my sister went to see Star Trek with her family in Minneapolis, and felt that Spock the Elder bears a startling resemblance to our 90-year-old grandmother. I always felt she looks just like Minnie Mouse (perky and with a fun sense of style).

In celebration of what has turned out to be a fabulously corny movie, here is a fine post from Cake Wrecks.
Live Long and Prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment