Friday, January 28, 2011

Heaven must wait

Foiled by bad timing!

A book that I read as a manuscript way back in 2009 (when the 2012 Newbery Committee wasn't even a twinkle in my eye) will be published this year and will be eligible for consideration by - yes - the 2012 Newbery Committee.

After discussing the matter with my Chair Viki Ash and with the ALSC Executive Board, I have voluntarily resigned from the 2012 Newbery Committee.

Phew. I don't know what has been worse - realizing that I had a Serious Problem, screwing up my courage to tell Viki about it, resigning from the committee, or writing this post. Viki, the Board, and my ex-Committee members have all been wonderfully supportive and kind.

It's horribly disappointing and sad. I've been waiting my whole life to be on this committee! But in this situation, there was no way to remain on the committee. I couldn't bear it if there were any taint on the Newbery - especially if I had been the cause of it! So resigning was clearly the right and only thing to do.

Because this is my year of half-full glasses and silver linings, I will try to look at 2011 as a year in which I will unexpectedly be able to read all kinds of YA and adult books and not just Newbery-eligible books, and I will be able to discuss and review them all on this blog. And I will be cheering louder than anyone when the 2012 Newbery is announced next January.

Anyway, there will be other Newbery Committees! And in that light, I plan to sing this song at our next Ladies of the Library karaoke evening, dedicating it to Those Who Appoint Newbery Committee Members:

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Eva!!! I'm so sorry! What a bummer.
    Yes, the silver lining on the cloud definitely has to be that 2011 will be Your Blogging Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the right thing is often the hardest thing to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Eva! I'm so disappointed for you. Another year--and lots of good reading in this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will get elected again. Avoid all manuscripts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what-a-bummer! As Trixie would have said, aggle flaggle klabble!!!! Disappointment indeed. But it's also valid to acknowledge that you did the right thing, hard as it was..Bravo..(and sigh). I have a feeling you'll be back on that committee at some point. And don't read any manuscripts in the meantime:}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your good thoughts, everyone! Yep, I'll be shunning all manuscripts...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've acted with wisdom. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm so sorry! I hope some unexpected wonders come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so, so, sorry. This is what has kept me from volunteering again. But my guess (based on what happened to one other person I know that had to do this) is they will put you back on right away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. gee, Eva, I hope you get to try again next year! What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gack! What a bummer. But you will have your chance at the big ride again. I admire your sense of honor (so lacking in so many places and people today) and it makes me appreciate you even more (if that is possible!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, man. What a horrible thing timing is. I do hope you can have another chance to be on the committee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll just add my "Oh how awful" to the rest of the comments. I really don't get why you have to disqualify yourself. Guess it will teach you to read manuscripts in the future (that's a joke). Really Eva, there isn't enough coming out published to keep your voracious appetite satisfied? I certainly hope the nominating committee for 2013 or 14 will reward your honorable behavior.

    Teri Robertson

    ReplyDelete