Wednesday, September 3, 2008

As if enforced creationism and (attempted) enforced abstinence weren't bad enough...


Sarah Palin is also an attempted banner of books! In this Time article, we learn:

"Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. "She asked the library how she could go about banning books," he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. "The librarian was aghast." That woman, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor. "

Not okay! Not okay at all!

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! We've got to speak out! Book banning? This can NOT be tolerated!

    Again, good for you!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eva! Last year I was doing some research on book banning in preparation for a library talk I was giving in Kansas, and I came across a story that just killed me. I'd have to look up the names and dates, but there was a guy in Texas organizing "book mulchings" where he would pull up a pickup truck in front of a library, and mulch books in the back -- primarily books with gay/lesbian content. They weren't books from the libraries; he brought his own. Well, one of his supporters in the crowd was recorded as saying she didn't want her two teenage sons to learn about puberty until after they were married!!!!!

    ARG! I mean, obviously that woman didn't know what "puberty" meant, but I haven't quite gotten those two teenage sons out of my mind -- what else were they forbidden to know about, and what have been the consequences? And sure, a lot of those kids won't grow up with the resourcefulness and confidence and curiosity to go into a library and find out for themselves, but some will. If there are libraries. With books in them.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jim! Power to the people and freedom to the readers.

    Wow, Laini. I cannot believe stuff like this still goes on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping you realize that the photo you've used (Bikini-clad Palin) was photo-shopped for Pundit Kitchen. Her head, some other body. They made it pretty clear in the post that it was a composite. Not saying there isn't a photo like this in her home albums, just saying not a real photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh rats, how embarrassing! Okay, as soon as I finish this comment, I'll take off the photo (I got it from a source that didn't mention the photoshopping - I'm so naive!)

    ReplyDelete