Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Constantinople and Timbuktu


Everyone has a favorite Dr. Seuss book, and mine is Hop on Pop. Both my kids demanded this book incessantly as toddlers and preschoolers, despite - or because of - the uber-simplicity of the text and the lack of plot.

We all loved the large font size, the soothing rhythm, and surreal illustrations. Especially compelling were the tiny dramas and events that came and went as we turned the pages. Remember those two doe-eyed, thickly-lashed creatures admiring a bee, only to run in terror when two more bees show up and begin chasing them? Or Mr. Brown, who is catapulted out of town, only to return and eat a snack with Mr. Black?

Our favorite was Sad Dad, to be read aloud with maximum pathos:

"Dad is sad.
Very, very sad.
He had a bad day.
What a day Dad had!"

I have days like this myself:

Mum is glum.
Very, very glum.
She had a crummy day.
Mum wants some rum.
Yum!

But I'm at work. Guess I'll have to settle for the Green Eggs and Ham wordle over at Madigan Reads to cheer me up.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Eva, you crack me up. Rum does make a pretty good cure-all, methinks. lol.

    ReplyDelete