Thursday, July 3, 2008

Newbery Buzz

The year is half over - has the next Newbery winner been published yet? I've only ever predicted the Newbery winner correctly twice in my life - Susan Patron's The Higher Power of Lucky and Linda Sue Park's A Single Shard. Or to be accurate, my favorites just happened to win those years.
So far, many of the books I've loved this year aren't even eligible, being British - Well Witched by Frances Hardinge and The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd, for example. But here are some Newbery Possibilities so far:
Fortune's Fool by Kathleen Karr - medieval Germany, a roaming jester and his intrepid companions, plenty of wit and wisdom.
The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry - a smooth and oh-so-satisfying parody of those "old-fashioned" books.
Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls Book 1: Moving Day by Meg Cabot - okay, not exactly high-brow, but oh so fun to read.
I'd like to read Savvy by Ingrid Law, and of course there are any number of nonfiction titles that have been getting great reviews.
Please give me recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. Eva, congratulations! I'll be a constant reader of your blog, as you have helped me find some real gems--most recently, The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex, which I loved.
    I very much appreciate being a part of your very first post as well. Your prediction of the 2007 Newbery puts you in a tiny club with three members, one of them my sister.
    Now to place my reserve on The Willoughbys!
    Susan Patron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two Newbery-eligible books that I have liked a lot are Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor and The Trouble Begins at 8 by Sid Fleischman.

    ReplyDelete